What is Asbestos, and why is it dangerous?

Many people hadn’t heard of asbestos before 20 years ago. This was until the 1980s when its dangerous properties became well-known. Come and visit our website search it on asbestattest-aanvragen.net you can learn more.

Asbestos, a naturally occurring mineral, is composed of long fibrous crystals. Because of the damage they can cause to the lungs, Asbestos’s toxicity is caused by these fibers. Asbestos can be inhaled and cause lung cancer as well as Pneumoconiosis.

Asbestos has been used historically for many purposes. Due to its resistance to extreme heat, Asbestos was called the miracle mineral by the Greeks. While Asbestos was most commonly used for construction, its versatility meant that it could be used as an electrical insulation for wires and cables for ovens. Additionally, Asbestos’s strength made it a popular material for weaving fabrics such as tablecloths and clothing. Asbestos began to be used all over the world by the 20th Century. Some examples of Asbestos products include roofing tiles, floor tiles, pipe insulations ceiling insulations, lawn furniture, cement to make fires, brake pads for cars, protective clothing and firemen’s clothing, etc.

Unfortunately, the true dangers of Asbestos weren’t fully understood until recently. A high percentage of buildings, especially those constructed in the late 1800s/early 1900s, already had substantial amounts in their walls or roofs. It had been considered a great building material, being highly fire-resistant, resistant to electricity and inexpensive.

Unfortunately, asbestos was used in a lot of places over the years. This has led to lung disease in many people. Because the fibers become airborne, asbestos can then be inhaled. Due to their size, the fibers are not easily expelled and remain in the lungs.